Eric A. Kafka is an Associate at Cohen Milstein and a member of the firm’s Consumer Protection practice group.
Mr. Kafka is a tireless advocate for consumers. Since joining Cohen Milstein in 2015, Mr. Kafka has represented plaintiffs in a wide range of consumer class actions, including product liability, false advertising, and data breach class actions.
Mr. Kafka is also an active member of the Plaintiffs’ Bar. He is a member of both the American Association for Justice (AAJ) and Public Justice. Mr. Kafka serves on Public Justice’s Class Action Preservation Committee.
Currently, Mr. Kafka is litigating the following notable matters:
- LLE One, LLC v. Facebook (N.D. Cal.): Cohen Milstein represents a putative class of advertising purchasers, who claim that Facebook intentionally inflated key metrics regarding their paid video advertisements’ performance. Plaintiffs allege that the inflated metrics caused them to buy more video advertisements and to pay a higher price than they otherwise would have paid.
- Johnannessohn, et al. v. Polaris (D. Minn.): Cohen Milstein represents a putative class of purchasers of Polaris Sportsman four-wheel all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) who allege that their Sportsman ATV’s have a defect where it emits excess exhaust heat, which can burn riders and melt ATV components. Plaintiffs allege that Polaris violated state consumer protection laws by failing to disclose the exhaust heat defect.
- In re: Marriott International Inc. Customer Data Security Breach Litigation (D. Md.): In April 2019, the Court appointed Cohen Milstein the Consumer Plaintiffs’ Co-Lead Counsel to oversee a class action related to the data breach that compromised the personal data of nearly 400 million customers, making it one of the largest data breaches in U.S. history.
Mr. Kafka was actively involved in the following concluded matters:
- In re Anthem, Inc. Data Breach Litigation (N.D. Cal.): Cohen Milstein was Co-Lead Counsel on behalf of a putative class of 78.8 million insureds, whose personal data and health information was stolen as a result of a massive data breach of Anthem, Inc., one of the nation’s largest for-profit health care companies. In August 2018, the Court granted final approval of a $115 million settlement – the largest data breach settlement in history.
- HCA Litigation (M.D. Fla.): Cohen Milstein was Lead Counsel in a class action, alleging that emergency room patients were billed unreasonably high fees for emergency radiology services, in excess of the amount allowed by their mandatory Florida Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance. In December 2018, the Court granted final approval of a $220 million injunctive relief settlement.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Kafka worked on multiple political campaigns, including President Obama's 2008 presidential campaign.
Mr. Kafka earned his J.D. from Columbia Law School, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. He received his B.A. from Yale University.