John Bracken joined Cohen Milstein in 2014 and is a Staff Attorney in the Antitrust Practice Group. In this role, he assists in discovery and evidentiary-related aspects of the litigation and deposition preparation.
Currently, Mr. Bracken is assisting in litigating the following notable matters:
- Domestic Drywall Antitrust Litigation: Cohen Milstein is co-lead counsel in an antitrust litigation alleging that the seven major U.S. manufacturers of drywall conspired to manipulate prices. To date, settlements for $45 million have been reached with two of the defendants. The case is ongoing.
- VFX/Animation Antitrust Litigation: Cohen Milstein is one of three court-appointed co-lead counsels in a litigation alleging that the major animation studios conspired to limit the opportunities and suppress the pay of special effects and animation workers by agreeing not to poach each other’s employees. The litigation has survived a motion to dismiss and the firm is in the process of filing a class motion.
- Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) Antitrust Litigation: Cohen Milstein is co-lead counsel in a class action on behalf of MMA fighters alleging that Zuffa LLC – commonly known as the Ultimate Fighting Championship or “UFC” – has unlawfully monopolized the markets for promoting live professional MMA bouts and for purchasing the services of professional MMA fighters. The district court denied the defendant’s motion to dismiss the case in September 2015 and discovery is ongoing.
- Solodyn Antitrust Litigation: Cohen Milstein is a movant in a pay-for-delay litigation, alleging that Medicis Pharmaceutical Corp. and other drug manufacturers colluded to keep a generic version of the acne drug Solodyn off the market. The case is ongoing.
Among Mr. Bracken’s successes are the following matters:
- Sports Broadcasting Antitrust Litigation: Cohen Milstein is lead counsel for plaintiffs in class actions alleging that the system of geographical broadcasting territories employed by the National Hockey League (NHL) and Major League Baseball (MLB) amount to unlawful market allocation under Section 1 of the Sherman Act. The NHL lawsuit settled in 2015. A proposed settlement was reached with the MLB in January 2016.
- Symantec Antivirus Antitrust Litigation: Cohen Milstein was lead counsel in a class action alleging Symantec, a computer security provider, and another defendant sold consumers worthless and unnecessary download insurance. The case was resolved just prior to the trial for a $60 million settlement.
Mr. Bracken graduated from Vassar College with a B.A. in History and earned his J.D. from American University, Washington College of Law.