February 21, 2020
Julie G. Reiser has been invited to speak at the National Association of Public Pension Attorneys (NAPPA) 2020 Winter Seminar at the Tempe Mission Palms Hotel in Tempe, AZ.
Ms. Reiser’s panel program, entitled “Pension System Participation Class Action Lawsuits,” focuses on important considerations for a pension system when it determines whether to participate as a lead or co-lead plaintiff in class action lawsuit, including:
- Board policies defining the circumstances under which the system will participate;
- What it means/what duties are assumed when the pension system is appointed as lead plaintiff; weighing the pension system’s paramount fiduciary duty to the system’s members against the duty owed to the class members;
- Setting (and managing) reasonable expectations regarding recovery of losses and the internal resources that will need to be (must be?) dedicated to effective prosecution of the action;
- The involvement of the retirement board in oversight of the litigation, litigation strategy decisions, and settlement discussions;
- The role of the system’s general counsel in these matters; and
- Additional considerations when your system is a co-lead plaintiff.
More information on the NAPPA 2020 Winter Seminar can be found here.