CAREERS | SUMMER ASSOCIATES
A meaningful experience from day one.
As a summer associate, you’ll have the opportunity to work across practices on cases that are important and rewarding.
Our summer associate program offers law students an opportunity to gain substantive litigation experience on high-impact cases that seek to hold corporate wrongdoers accountable. During the program, you’ll receive substantive case work from attorneys across practice groups. Assignments have included researching cutting-edge legal issues, drafting portions of briefs, and preparing for hearings and depositions. We aim to provide you with a preview of what it is like to work as an associate at Cohen Milstein.
Hiring Process and Selection Criteria
We hire five summer associates each year to work in our Washington, DC and New York offices. The application process is open to law students enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school who will have completed two years of law school by the start of the summer program.
The hiring and application process for the summer associate program typically begins in the late summer to early fall. Successful candidates are selected based on their outstanding academic records, writing skills, and commitment to the firm’s public interest work. While applications are considered on a rolling basis, we encourage you to apply early in the process. Hiring decisions are generally completed in October. We encourage candidates to regularly visit this site for details on our summer program and the date when we will begin accepting applications.
- A complete application package must include the following materials:
- Completed online application
- Cover letter
- Unofficial or official law school transcript
- Writing sample
Get to Know Us
In addition to your work, you’ll have the opportunity to engage in a variety of professional development and social networking activities. Past summer programs have included writing workshops, lunches and dinners with partners and associates from across the firm, DC sporting events, happy hours, museum exhibitions, and more.
We are committed.
Live well, work well.
We offer benefits that support you at every stage of your career and promote a healthy, fulfilling life for you and your family. The benefits we offer are based on evolving employee needs and the idea that taking care of our people is good for all of us.
YOUR Health & Wellness
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance plans
- Medical and dependent flexible spending accounts
- Health savings account
- Employee Assistance Program with counseling, resources, and referral services
- Paid time off including 11 paid holidays
- Paid new parent leave
YOUR Financial FITNESS
- Roth and traditional 401(k) with profit sharing potential
- Financial literacy sessions
- Pre-tax transportation benefit program
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Bar dues
- Hybrid work arrangements and flexible work schedules
- Business casual attire
- Mentor program
- Practicing Law Institute (PLI) CLE Access and other skills enhancement programming
YOUR WORK COMMUNITY
- Annual attorney retreat
- Summer social and other gatherings
- Breakfasts, lunches, yoga, and more!
- Community engagement opportunities