Nicholas C. Johnson is an Associate at Cohen Milstein, and a member of the firm’s Catastrophic Injury & Wrongful Death practice area. In that role, Mr. Johnson's practice focuses on medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, and personal injury cases.
Prior to joining Cohen Milstein in 2014, Mr. Johnson worked for two South Florida defense firms, gaining valuable experience representing Fortune 500 insurance companies in the defense of claims and lawsuits. Earlier in his career, Mr. Johnson practiced as an Assistant Public Defender in Palm Beach County, where he represented indigent clients charged with misdemeanors and felonies, ranging from DUI to crimes punishable by life in prison. He was awarded the Best Advocate Award at the Florida Public Defender College in November 2008. Mr. Johnson tried approximately 30 jury trials to verdict as an Assistant Public Defender. Eager to resume his representation of individuals, Mr. Johnson joined Cohen Milstein in 2014.
Mr. Johnson has litigated the following notable matters:
- Pavlov v. PBSO: Mr. Johnson was a member of a team of attorneys representing the mother of a 28-year-old mentally disturbed man who was shot and killed by a Deputy Sheriff of the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office. Mr. Johnson was instrumental in litigating this case, which resulted in the largest settlement paid out by the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.
- McCool v. Woodstream and Home Depot: Mr. Johnson represents the family of Mary Jo McCool, a 46-year-old woman who was found drowned in her pool as a result of becoming overcome by the fumes from a propane mosquito trap. The matter currently is being litigated in Federal Court.
- Nursing Home Neglect Litigation: Mr. Johnson represented the spouse of an 85-year-old man who experienced a series of falls in a nursing home before finally fracturing his hip, which required hip replacement surgery. Mr. Johnson reached a confidential settlement in this case that alleged neglect on the part of the nursing home.
Mr. Johnson was selected to serve as a member of the 2015 class of The Florida Bar Leadership Academy, and was recently selected to the American Association for Justice's 2016 Leadership Academy. Mr. Johnson serves on the Board of Directors for the Palm Beach County Bar Association North County Section, and currently serves on the Board of the Florida Justice Association's Young Lawyer Section and the Membership Diversity Committee, and is an active member of the Palm Beach County Bar and the Palm Beach County Justice Association. He is also actively involved in the American Association for Justice's Minority Caucus. He writes on various legal topics in such publications as the Florida Justice Association Journal.
Mr. Johnson graduated from Boston University with a B.A. in Economics, and completed his Master’s in Sports Management at the University of Florida. He graduated cum laude from St. Thomas University School of Law in 2007. Mr. Johnson, who was born and raised in Kingston, Jamaica, has represented Jamaica at several international swimming competitions.
- President Elect, F. Malcolm Cunningham, Sr. Bar Association, Executive Board 2016-2017
- Director, North County Section, Palm Beach County Bar Association, Board of Directors 2016-2019
- Board, Young Lawyer Section, Florida Justice Association
- Fellow, Class III, Florida Bar Leadership Academy
- Appointed Member, Florida Bar Leadership Academy Committee
- Member, Diversity Committee, Florida Justice Association
- Member, American Association for Justice