If you would like to speak to an attorney involved in this investigation, please complete the form below or email us at email@example.com.
Cohen Milstein is investigating a number of health insurance companies for violations of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) for refusing to pay the benefits owed to out-of-network providers. When this happens, it means YOU get injured – through a surprise bill, premium increases, your favorite doctor refusing to accept your insurance going forward, or by negatively affecting your deductible/copay/coinsurance. If you received a bill that you did not expect, or learned that your insurer has refused to pay for your healthcare to an out of network provider, facility, or emergency room visit, please take a moment to fill out the questionnaire below and we will contact you within two to three business days to schedule a phone call with one of our attorneys who is leading the investigation.
Cohen Milstein recognizes the importance of your privacy and personal data. Information collected in this questionnaire is confidential and will not be shared or sold.
What is a Surprise Medical Bill?
- Surprise medical bills happen after you receive care by an out-of-network doctor or at an out-of-network facility.
- The main cause of surprise bills is a practice called “balance billing,” which occurs most often when you are seen by an out of network doctor at a medical facility in your health plan’s network.
- Anesthesiology, emergency room treatment, and lab services are among the most common reasons people receive a surprise bill.
- One out of every seven patients who goes to an in-network hospital receives a bill from an out-of-network provider!
- Sometimes you might even be charged a “facility fee” from a clinic or practice you were referred to!
- Other causes of surprise bills – ambulance rides; issues with your deductible, copay, or coinsurance; or billing errors/fraudulent billing.
The attorney investigating this matter is Karen Handorf (admitted in Wisconsin and Washington, DC).
In addition to completing the contact form above, please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.
Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll PLLC
1100 New York Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20005
Tel: (202) 408-4600
Fax: (202) 408-4699