June 18, 2021

The brother of a South Carolina man who overdosed at a Super 8 last summer is suing the motel and the Lantana-based drug rehabilitation center where the 26-year-old had been receiving treatment.

Daniel Aldrich, representing his brother Tyler’s estate, claims the negligence of the motel and Comprehensive Wellness Centers led to his death.

In a statement provided to The Palm Beach Post, the center rejected the claims.

According to the complaint filed in Palm Beach County Circuit Court on Wednesday, Tyler Aldrich admitted himself into Comprehensive Wellness Centers in June 2020. Three months earlier, he had completed a two-week program there, said attorney Adam Langino, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of Tyler’s brother.

Sheridan checked on Tyler periodically, bringing him a milkshake around 11:30 p.m. that night, according to a Lantana Police report. The next day, Tyler wasn’t answering his phone. Sheridan found him in the room, unresponsive.

“What in the world were they thinking?” Langino said. “This was a preventable tragedy.”

The lawsuit suggests the center acted with money in mind "through the future profits garnered through (Tyler's) return to (the center) for additional drug rehabilitation treatment."

"It seems like these centers are popping up all over the place in South Florida," Langino said. "They're happy to take insurance, but they also need to be held accountable when things go wrong, when they make mistakes."

The complete article can be accessed here.