Stephan A. LeClainche, Of Counsel at Cohen Milstein, is a member of the firm’s Complex Tort Litigation practice group and head of the Medical Malpractice team. In his role, Mr. LeClainche represents victims and the families of victims of all types of medical negligence. His practice specializes in medical malpractice, but also includes medical device litigation, automobile negligence, sexual abuse and other serious injury and wrongful death cases.
Mr. LeClainche is an accomplished trial attorney, whose admission to the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers attests to his reputation among peers as an outstanding trial lawyer.
Mr. LeClainche was named to Lawdragon's list of “500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers” (2020, 2021) and The Best Lawyers in America recognized him as “Lawyer of the Year – West Palm Beach, FL” for Product Liability – Plaintiffs in 2022 as well as “Best Lawyer” in the areas of Medical Malpractice Law; Personal Injury Litigation; Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions; Product Liability Litigation (2018 – 2022). He was also named to Palm Beach Illustrated “Top Lawyers” (2019, 2020) and has been named to Florida Super Lawyers every year since 2014. In 2018, the Daily Business Review recognized Mr. LeClainche as the “Most Effective Lawyer: Medical Malpractice.”
Prior to joining Cohen Milstein in 2015, Mr. LeClainche was a name partner in a boutique trial law firm based in West Palm Beach. A Florida Board-Certified Civil Trial Lawyer since 1996 with nearly four decades of experience litigating civil lawsuits, Mr. LeClainche is both a veteran attorney and a seasoned investigator, investing the time necessary to unearth and analyze every potentially relevant facet of a case. He understands, however, that legal skill in a courtroom is only a part of the qualifications that a good attorney brings to the practice in representing the victims of negligence. Equally important is the empathy an attorney must possess in counseling and guiding these victims and their families. The best attorneys are advisers and advocates, compassionate yet aggressive—a partner to clients, making them part of the team. These are traits that Mr. LeClainche brings to each of his cases.
Many of his cases represent the cutting edge of both medicine and law, and grow out of the evolution of medicine and its practice. The cases may be different, but the complexities, challenges and stakes are always high, requiring attention to detail – and dedication to a client’s needs and concerns.
Some of Mr. LeClainche’s litigation and trial successes include the following notable matters:
- A $40 million verdict recovered for a child in a wrongful death case.
- Co-lead of the trial team of lawyers who, after years of costly litigation, successfully recovered $27 million on behalf of 10 victims of child abuse in a case brought in Federal Court in New York.
- Verdicts of $10 million and $1.7 million in two separate cases involving sexual abuse of minors.
- A $7 million settlement in a medical malpractice case involving failure to notify a patient of a MRSA infection in his blood.
- A $5 million settlement reached during trial in a medical malpractice case.
- A $4.9 million settlement in a medical malpractice case involving a head injury suffered by a patient who was dropped to the floor from an OR table during surgery.
- A $2.8 million verdict for a death and personal injuries suffered by husband and wife in a motor vehicle accident.
- A $2.3 million verdict for personal injuries suffered during a fall at an amusement park.
- A $2.5 million settlement in the wrongful shooting and death of Seth Adams by the PBSO.
- A $2 million settlement involving death due to failure to diagnose pulmonary embolism in a hospitalized patient.
In addition to his admission to the Florida Board-Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, Mr. LeClainche’s a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. His accomplishments over the years have also enabled him to achieve an AV-Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating available for ethics and legal ability from the nation’s oldest guide to lawyers and law firms. Mr. LeClainche is also a long-time member of the American Board of Trial Advocates – Palm Beach County Chapter.
Mr. LeClainche attended Florida International University, graduating magna cum laude with a B.A. in Political Science, and earned his J.D. from the University of Florida College of Law. Mr. LeClainche was born and raised in Kingston, Jamaica.