Stephan A. LeClainche, Of Counsel at Cohen Milstein, is a member of the firm’s Complex Tort Litigation practice group and head of the Medical Malpractice team. In his role, Mr. LeClainche represents victims and the families of victims of all types of medical negligence. His practice specializes in medical malpractice, but also includes medical device litigation, automobile negligence, sexual abuse and other serious injury and wrongful death cases.
Mr. LeClainche is an experienced trial attorney, whose recent admission to the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers attests to his reputation among peers as an outstanding trial lawyer. He understands, however, that legal skill in a courtroom is only a part of the qualifications that a good attorney brings to the practice in representing the victims of negligence. Equally important is the empathy an attorney must possess in counseling and guiding these victims and their families. The best attorneys are advisers and advocates, compassionate yet aggressive—a partner to clients, making them part of the team. These are traits that Mr. LeClainche brings to each of his cases.
Prior to joining Cohen Milstein in 2015, Mr. LeClainche was a name partner in a boutique trial law firm based in West Palm Beach. A Florida Board-Certified Civil Trial Lawyer since 1996 with more than three decades of experience litigating civil lawsuits, Mr. LeClainche is both a veteran attorney and a seasoned investigator, investing the time necessary to unearth and analyze every potentially relevant facet of a case. Many of his cases represent the cutting edge of both medicine and law, and grow out of the evolution of medicine and its practice. The cases may be different, but the complexities, challenges and stakes are always high, requiring attention to detail – and dedication to a client’s needs and concerns.
Some of Mr. LeClainche’s litigation and trial successes include the following notable matters:
- A $2.5 million settlement in the wrongful shooting and death of Seth Adams by the PBSO.
- A confidential settlement reached in a medical malpractice case against an interventional cardiologist regarding his controversial practice of using a stent in the mid-popliteal artery to treat arterial occlusion. The case involved the off-label use of a medical device and a surgeon acting outside the scope of his practice.
- A $40 million verdict recovered for a child in a wrongful death case.
- A $7 million settlement in a medical malpractice case involving failure to notify a patient of a MRSA infection in his blood.
- A $5 million settlement reached during trial in a medical malpractice case.
- A $4.9 million settlement in a medical malpractice case involving a head injury suffered by a patient who was dropped to the floor from an OR table during surgery.
- Verdicts of $1.7 million and $10 million in two separate cases involving sexual abuse of minors.
- A $2.3 million verdict for personal injuries suffered during a fall at an amusement park.
- A $2.8 million verdict for a death and personal injuries suffered by husband and wife in a motor vehicle accident.
- A $2 million settlement involving death due to failure to diagnose pulmonary embolism in a hospitalized patient.
- Co-lead of the trial team of lawyers who, after years of costly litigation, successfully recovered $27 million on behalf of 10 victims of child abuse in a case brought in Federal Court in New York
Mr. LeClainche currently represents clients in a diverse variety of medical malpractice cases, including:
- Several lawsuits involving injuries arising from laparoscopic and open gall bladder surgery.
- Misdiagnosis on colonoscopy resulting in the client being given a clean bill of health only to be subsequently diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer.
Mr. LeClainche was named 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” in West Palm Beach, FL in the category of Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs by The Best Lawyers in America. He was also named to Palm Beach Illustrated 2019 “Top Lawyers” list for Medical Malpractice Law, recognized in the 2019 edition of Super Lawyers in Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice, and as one of Daily Business Review’s 2018 “Most Effective Lawyers: Medical Malpractice.”
In addition to his admission to the American College of Trial Lawyers, Mr. LeClainche’s accomplishments over the years have enabled him to achieve an AV-Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating available for ethics and legal ability from the nation’s oldest guide to lawyers and law firms. Mr. LeClainche is also a long-time member of the American Board of Trial Advocates – Palm Beach County Chapter.
Mr. LeClainche attended Florida International University, graduating magna cum laude with a B.A. in Political Science, and earned his J.D. from the University of Florida College of Law. Mr. LeClainche was born and raised in Kingston, Jamaica.