Sally Handmaker Guido is an Associate at Cohen Milstein and a member of the firm’s Consumer Protection practice group. In that role, Ms. Handmaker Guido litigates actions to enforce consumer rights under federal and state laws.
Prior to joining Cohen Milstein in 2014, Ms. Handmaker Guido was a Litigation Associate at a top-tier defense firm, working on complex commercial and general litigation matters in federal and state courts covering a variety of subject matters, including antitrust, securities litigation, sports, intellectual property and employment. She also maintained an active pro bono practice and, in particular, was recognized for her work with the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law’s Voting Rights Project.
Ms. Handmaker Guido is currently litigating the following notable matters:
- Parker, et al. v. America Traffic Solutions, et al.: Ms. Handmaker Guido is Lead Associate on the case team that is litigating claims against Florida municipalities and red light camera vendors alleging improper delegation power to enforce red light camera violations and improper collection of fines regarding same.
- In re: Lumber Liquidators Chinese-Manufactured Flooring Products, Sales Practice and Product Liabilities Litigation: Ms. Handmaker Guido is Lead Associate on the case team litigating claims against Lumber Liquidators alleging fraudulent sale of composite flooring that contains excessive and unlawful levels of formaldehyde, a carcinogen.
- Ubaldi v. SLM Corporation: Ms. Handmaker Guido is Lead Associate on case team litigating claims against Sallie Mae Inc. alleging usurious loan practices.
Some of her past successes include:
- Symantec Corp. Litigation: Ms. Handmaker Guido was Lead Associate on the case team that succeeded in gaining final approval of a $60 million settlement. The case against Symantec and Digital River alleged misrepresentations regarding the companies’ Extended Download Service. Ms. Handmaker Guido was heavily engaged in the trial preparation for the lawsuit, which settled on the eve of the trial.
- Caterpillar Litigation: Ms. Handmaker Guido was Lead Associate in a nationwide product liability class action against Caterpillar, Inc. alleging that engine exhaust system defects resulted in power losses and shutdowns that prevented or impeded their vehicles from transporting goods or passengers.
Ms. Handmaker Guido attended the University of Southern California, graduating summa cum laude with a B.A. in Psychology and a B.A. in Political Science. Her undergraduate honors thesis was published in the American Psychological Association journal Law and Human Behavior under the title "'How Did You Feel?': Increasing Child Sexual Abuse Witnesses’ Production of Evaluative Information."
Ms. Handmaker Guido received her J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law. While in law school, Ms. Handmaker Guido served as an intern at the U.S. Department of Justice’s Criminal Division focusing on cases involving child sexual abuse. She also served on the board of The Virginia Innocence Project, the University of Virginia’s arm of the national litigation and public policy organization dedicated to exonerating wrongfully convicted people through DNA testing and reforming the criminal justice system. Ms. Handmaker also participated in the University of Virginia School of Law's Moot Court program and served on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Law & Politics.