settlement in Lumber
Liquidators laminate MDL
Cohen Milstein’s Consumer Protection practice is at the forefront of protecting consumers from a wide range of corporate malfeasance, including false and misleading advertising, fraudulent billing, and a variety of other unfair or deceptive business practices.
Our practice has successfully protected consumer rights under Federal and state laws through class action litigation, bringing a full measure of justice and benefits for millions of consumers. We have recovered monetary compensation for consumers who were deceived by consumer service providers such as banks, insurance companies, credit card companies and phone companies. We have also successfully achieved recoveries for consumers who purchased defective products including automobiles, trucks, televisions and home siding.
We are co-lead counsel in a class action lawsuit alleging Caterpillar sold diesel engines with defective exhaust emissions systems. We litigated and resolved a class action lawsuit on behalf of purchasers of certain RCA, Proscan and GE branded televisions alleging that a defect rendered the TV’s inoperable; the settlement made up to $100 million in available to television purchasers for unreimbursed repairs. In addition, our practice was one of the principal counsel in the Dex-Cool Litigation, a nationwide lawsuit alleging that General Motors sold millions of cars with defective coolant that gummed up and caused corrosion to engines; GM settled ahead of trial, offering relief of cash payments of up to $800 per repair.
We were co-lead counsel in a class action against Intelius, Inc., negotiating two nationwide settlements relating to negative-option programs and improper post-transaction marketing; the combined settlements made $12 million in cash and a total of $3.5 million in vouchers available to the Class. More recently, we litigated a lawsuit against Symantec, Corp., and Digital River, Inc., a four-year long nationwide class action battle regarding the marketing of a re-download service in conjunction with the sale of Norton software.
Our attorneys are determined to hold companies accountable for the products and services they offer to consumers. Members of the practice have spent much of their careers fighting on behalf of consumers and often are asked to speak on the subject at conferences. Members of the practice have received numerous accolades for their work, including Ted Leopold’s nomination for “Trial Lawyer of the Year” by the Public Justice Foundation.
Currently, our practice represents consumers in the following high-profile matters:
- Anthem Data Breach Litigation: We are co-lead counsel in a high-profile class action lawsuit against Anthem Inc. over its massive data breach that compromised the personal identification (including social security numbers, date of birth, medical ID number, etc.) and health information of 80 million customers.
- Sallie Mae Litigation: We are co-lead counsel in a series of cases alleging that Sallie Mae charged usurious interest rates and improper late fees to California students.
- Paccar and Cummins truck cases: We are one of the principal counsel in several class actions against diesel engine makers for derating and stalling engines due to a defective emissions system.
- Lumber Liquidators Litigation: We are co-lead counsel in the consumer class action lawsuit alleging Lumber Liquidators sold Chinese-made laminate flooring containing hazardous levels of the carcinogen formaldehyde while falsely labeling their products as meeting or exceeding California emissions standards.
- Rooms to Go Litigation: We represent a putative class alleging that the furniture retailer misled consumers as to the effectiveness of its ForceField protection plan, a chemical spray product touted as resistant to stains.
- Red Light Litigation: We are one of the lead counsel asserting claims against Florida municipalities and red light camera vendors alleging improper delegation of the power to issue red light camera citations and the improper collection of fines regarding the same.
Cape Fear River, NC Water Contamination Litigation: Carey, et al., v. E.I. DuPont De Nemours and Co., Inc., et al.
On January 31, 2018, Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll PLLC and Susman Godfrey, Interim Co-Lead Class Counsel filed a consolidated toxic...