June 14, 2017

A Nevada federal magistrate judge overseeing an antitrust lawsuit by mixed martial arts fighters against the UFC told MMA promoter and UFC rival Bellator Sport Worldwide LLC on Tuesday to respond to subpoenas by the parties, but limited the scope of their requests to fighter contracts and financial information.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Peggy A. Leen denied a bid by third-party Bellator to quash an attempt to obtain fighter contract and financial information, but found that separate subpoena requests by the fighters and UFC parent company Zuffa LLC regarding these issues to be too broad. While the sides previously came to an agreement on most of the subpoenas' other contents, Bellator contended it would be unfair for UFC, as a direct competitor, to gain unrestricted access to its fighter contracts and revenue and expense information.

As a result, Judge Leen said Bellator must produce a random sample of fighter contracts consisting of at least 20 percent of agreements signed by the promoter and its athletes since Jan. 1, 2010. The contracts can leave out identifying information such as names and addresses, but must include weight class, gender, compensation amount and the number of fights in which the athlete competed during his or her contract period.

The full article can be read here.