Kenneth M. Rehns is an Associate in the Securities Litigation & Investor Protection Practice Group, having joined Cohen Milstein in 2009. In this role, Mr. Rehns has been a key member of the team that initiated and litigated the most important mortgage-backed securities (MBS) class action lawsuits to emerge from the financial crisis.
Among his successes are the following litigations:
- RALI MBS Litigation: $335 million settlement with Citigroup, Goldman Sachs and UBS. Cohen Milstein was lead counsel in a class action lawsuit alleging that RALI and its associates sold toxic mortgage-backed securities that failed to meet their own underwriting standards. One of the earliest MBS cases to be brought in 2008, Mr. Rehns was involved with all aspects of the litigation from its inception.
- Harborview MBS Litigation: $275 million settlement with Royal Bank of Scotland. Cohen Milstein was lead counsel in a complex case, in which presiding Judge Loretta A. Preska, of the U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, commented on the “job well done” by the Cohen Milstein team. Mr. Rehns was lead Associate in the case, responsible for fact discovery and for overseeing some 30 contract attorneys and support staff.
- HEMT MBS Litigation: $110 million settlement with Credit Suisse. Cohen Milstein was lead counsel in a case alleging Credit Suisse and its affiliates sold toxic securities to pension fund investors. Mr. Rehns, who was with the lawsuit from its inception, was deeply involved in briefing and discovery.
- IntraLinks Litigation: $14 million settlement. Cohen Milstein was co-lead in a class action lawsuit alleging that IntraLinks, a virtual data room provider, misrepresented the strength of its largest business segment, having lost its most important customer, the FDIC. Mr. Rehns was the lead Associate on the litigation, a case calling for multiple depositions, deep discovery and review of millions of pages of documents.
Currently, Mr. Rehns is litigating the following notable matters:
- Braskem: Cohen Milstein represents the company’s American Depositary Receipts shareholders in a class action lawsuit alleging that Braskem, one of Brazil’s biggest petrochemical providers, lied to shareholders about its role in the bribery scandal involving Petrobras, the country’s oil producing giant. The case is ongoing.
- BioScrip Shareholder Derivative Litigation: Cohen Milstein is co-lead counsel seeking to hold the company’s board and management accountable for a pharmaceutical drugs kickback scheme. Mr. Rehns is responsible for briefing and will be responsible for discovery as the litigation progresses. The case is ongoing.
- Broadcom Litigation: Cohen Milstein is co-lead counsel in a class action lawsuit challenging the fairness of the proposed merger terms between Avago and Broadcom. Mr. Rehns is the sole Associate on the case. He has drafted the complaint and will be responsible for discovery and briefing going forward. The case is ongoing.
Mr. Rehns attended George Washington University, graduating cum laude with a B.B.A. in Business and Economics, and earned a J.D., cum laude, at Syracuse University College of Law, where he was an Editor of the Syracuse Journal of International Law and Commerce.