Michael B. Eisenkraft is a Partner in Cohen Milstein’s Securities Litigation & Investor Protection practice, where he takes a leading role in prosecuting innovative cases relating to the protection of commodity and financial markets for the firm and currently represents investors in the Natural Gas, KOSPI 200, LIBOR, Treasuries, and Interest Rate Swaps markets. He has also helped investors recover hundreds of millions of dollars in the Firm’s mortgage-backed securities cases. Mr. Eisenkraft serves as the Administrative Partner for Cohen Milstein’s New York office and chairs the Firm’s new business development committee.
His notable successes at Cohen Milstein include:
- NovaStar MBS Litigation: $165 million settlement on behalf of investors in a Securities Act litigation involving billions of dollars of mortgage-backed securities underwritten by the Royal Bank of Scotland, Wachovia and Deutsche Bank.
- HEMT MBS Litigation: $110 million settlement on behalf of investors in mortgage-backed securities issued and underwritten by Credit Suisse after more than seven years of litigation, which included the first written decision certifying a Securities Act class of mortgage-backed securities in the country.
- RALI MBS Litigation: $335 million in settlements on behalf of investors in mortgage-backed securities issued by Residential Capital and underwritten by various investment banks after seven years of litigation.
- Harborview MBS Litigation: $275 million settlement on behalf of investors in mortgage-backed securities issued and underwritten by the Royal Bank of Scotland and its subsidiaries after more than six years of litigation.
- Dynex: $7.5 million settlement on eve of trial on behalf of investors in asset-backed securities. The decision certifying the class in the case was the first decision within the Second Circuit certifying a class of asset-backed bond purchasers under the 1934 Act.
- China MediaExpress: $12 million settlement with auditor defendant in case involving alleged fraud at Chinese reverse merger company China MediaExpress. One of the largest settlements with an auditor defendant in a case involving a Chinese reverse merger company.
Mr. Eisenkraft’s current cases include:
Total Gas & Power Antitrust and Commodities Litigation: Represents putative class in action against the energy company Total in case alleging antitrust violations and violations of the Commodity Exchange Act in connection with manipulation of the market for natural gas.
- Tower Research Capital: Commodity Exchange Act class action against a high frequency trading firm alleging manipulation of the market for KOSPI 200 futures contracts (the representative stock market index of South Korea) using spoofing or faked trades.
- LIBOR (Exchange Traded Class): Commodity Exchange Act and antitrust class action representing investors in Eurodollar futures injured by manipulation of LIBOR by world’s largest banks.
- Interest Rate Swaps: Represents Public School Teachers’ Pension and Retirement Fund of Chicago and putative class in action alleging that major investment banks conspired to prevent an exchange-traded market for interest rate swaps from developing.
Mr. Eisenkraft served as a law clerk to the Honorable Judge Barrington D. Parker of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. He is the author or co-author of numerous articles on legal issues in the securities and antitrust fields among other subjects. Mr. Eisenkraft attended Brown University, where he received a B.A., magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, and graduated cum laude from Harvard Law School.